KINGSTON NY! It's my birthday party! Come hear some crazy stories and killer music from me and the Paul Green Rock Academy rippers. It's your New Year's Eve warm up! Tickets here.
ANTHRAX CELEBRATES THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF ITS CLASSIC "SPREADING THE DISEASE"
Universal To Release Special Anniversary Edition on November 20, 2015
"Anthrax's music matters. In the pantheon of Modern Metal, Anthrax is certainly a cornerstone, and if one listens, one can hear their influences on any number of up and coming bands of the new generation." -- Kirk Hammett/Metallica
On November 20, three decades after its October 30, 1985 debut, Universal will release a special 30th anniversary edition of Anthrax's classic Spreading The Disease, the band's second studio album and the one that served as the then-budding thrash band's breakthrough, and still considered one of the best thrash-metal records ever recorded
"We wanted to do something special for our fans to celebrate the anniversary of 'Spreading the Disease,'" said Anthrax's Charlie Benante. "We took the idea to Universal a couple of years ago and have been very hands-on with them, creating this special, deluxe edition that we think our fans will really like."
From the beginning, Benante has kept one of everything the band did - artwork, t-shirts, posters, and when the band was recording, he had the engineer run off a few tapes of the project's basic tracks, alternate takes and alternate mixes, just to stockpile until the time came that they would be needed. Consequently, in addition to the original album's nine tracks, the two-disc anniversary edition features previously umreleased bonus material including Joey Belladonna's 1984 demo recording of the song "Medusa," nine "rhythm tracks" from Anthrax recordings also done in 1984 - no vocals, no overdubs or "sweetening," just drums, some guitar, a bit of bass, showing the songs in their naked, most basic form - and eight live songs from Anthrax's 1987, first-ever concert in Japan, held at Tokyo's Sun Plaza. "'STD' was our first real record on a major label," said Benante. "We were on a roll with that album, and we wanted to perform those songs as close to the album versions as possible. I think the performances show the excitement of a young band that was on its way, so we wanted to have them on this reissue."
Produced by Anthrax with Carl Canedy, the 44-minute Spreading the Disease marked the first Anthrax album to feature singer Belladonna and bassist Frank Bello (joining drummer Benante and guitarists Dan Spitz & Scott Ian), and set into motion the core elements that would become the essence of Anthrax. In addition, the album also introduced the Anthrax writing partnership of Benante and Ian (that eventually evolved into Benante, Ian and Bello).
For Bello, Spreading the Disease was his full-on album recording baptism. Only 18 at the time, he hadn't yet fully realized his own style of playing, but over the course of the sessions, he developed it. "You can hear all of my influences on every song, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Geezer Butler, all of them." Bello remembers that STD didn't quite come of age until later on, but it was definitely "simmering." "What we were doing was so fresh, so different - we had heavy songs with these great, melodic vocals - and eventually, people caught on and loved what we were doing. I think every song on 'STD' still stands up today."
Spreading the Disease represented a turning point in rock. It came during a time when the landscape was transitioning from the "hair band scene" to a new composite of metal, punk and hardcore - thrash metal. The album was compelling and utterly fresh to the 1985 music fan with its speedy rhythms, savage riffs, blistering solos, punishing drum work and a killer melodic performance by Belladonna. Unlike the thrash bands sprouting up on the west coast that focused on speed, Anthrax's focus was on catchiness, hooks, and a hot and sweaty, New York mosh sensibility. And it wasn't just the music that was morphing, it was a whole new culture that was being birthed. And Anthrax, along with Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth - was right at its nucleus.
Spreading the Disease contains several Anthrax standouts: "A.I.R.," with its great riffs and abundance of melody, "Madhouse," a testament to the band's top-notch song-writing skills that showcased their grasp of melody, and "Armed and Dangerous," a soulful ballad with its singalong chorus and spine-tingling performance by Belladonna. "Aftershock" is probably the album's punkiest song with its blistering guitar solo, and the closer, "Gung-Ho," with its out-and-out speed-kills blitzkrieg, is a superb piece of thrash metal.
"We didn't know what we were doing, but we totally knew what we were doing," said Ian. "I know that doesn't make sense, but it's where we were at, a bunch of 21 year-old kids making our major label debut on a shoestring budget with nothing but a dream and a bunch of songs that we thought killed. We were right and our dream came true. Thank you to all the fans that put this record and Anthrax on the map way back when and still support us today. Cheers my friends!"
Spreading the Disease 30th Anniversary Edition Track Listing:
S.S.D./Stand or Fall
Armed and Dangerous
Medusa (Joey Belladonna demo)
Metal Thrashing Mad *
The Enemy *
Howling Furries *
Armed And Dangerous *
Soldiers of Metal *
Lone Justice **
Metal Thrashing Mad **
Raise Hell **
Stand Or Fall **
Armed And Dangerous **
The Enemy **
* Live at Sun Plaza (Tokyo) 1987
** Rhythm track tape, 1984
Last chance to get in on this before the raffle!!! Do it for the kids!
Up for this season's scholarship raffle...Scott Ian's from Anthrax's own signature guitar model from Jackson…THE SCOTT IAN ANARCHY THRAXAGRAM! Signed and personalized by Scott himself! We're selling 100 $50 raffles...winner to be drawn on October 10th at Best Of Season. Please email email@example.com to purchase yours. ALL proceeds go to our scholarship program!
Scott Ian Speaking Words
Scott Ian Speaking Words at St Vitus Aug 4 & Aug 6 - Click here for VIP tickets. VIP Packages available now General Tickets on sale soon. Check details below and get in quick as space is limited
Pole Walker Special Edition:
|Anthems - 2013
01. Anthem 02. T.N.T. 03. Smokin' 04. Keep On Runnin' 05. Big Eyes 06. Jailbreak 1 07. Crawl 08. Crawl (Remix)
|WorshipMusic - 2011
01. Worship (intro) 02. Earth On Hell 03. The Devil You Know 04. Fight 'Em Til You Can't 05. I’m Alive 06. Hymn 1 07. In The End 08. The Giant 09. Hymn 2 10. Judas Priest 11. Crawl 12. The Constant 13. Revolution Screams
|Fight'em 'Til You Can't - 2011
1. Fight'em 'Til You Can't
|The Big 4: Live From Sofia, Bulgaria - 2010
1. Caught in a Mosh 2. Got the Time 3. Madhouse 4. Be All, End All 5. Antisocial 6. Indians/Heaven and Hell 7. Medusa 8. Only 9. Metal Thrashing Mad 10. I Am The Law
|Caught In A Mosh - BBC Live In Concert - 2009
Disc 1: - Hammersmith Odeon 15/2/87 1. A.I.R. 2. Metal Thrashing Mad 3. Panic 4. The Enemy 5. I Am The Law 6. Madhouse 7. Howling Furies 8. Medusa 9. Armed And Dangerous 10. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 11. God Save The Queen 12. Gung-Ho
Disc 2: Donington Festival 22/8/87 1. Among The Living 2. Caught In A Mosh 3. Madhouse 4. I Am The Law 5. Medusa 6. Indians 7. God Save The Queen 8. A.I.R. 9. I'm The Man
|The Greater Of Two Evils - 2004
1. Deathrider 2. Metal Thrashing Mad 3. Caught In A Mosh 4. A.I.R. 5. Among The Living 6. Keep It In The Family 7. Indians 8. Madhouse 9. Panic 10. I Am The Law 11. Belly Of The Beast 12. N.F.L. 13. Be All, End All 14. Gung-Ho
|Music of Mass Destruction - 2004
1. What Doesn't Die 2. Got the Time 3. Caught in a Mosh 4. Safe Home 5. Room for One More 6. Antisocial 7. Nobody Knows Anything 8. Fueled 9. Inside Out 10. Refuse to Be Denied 11. I Am the Law 12. Only
|We've Come For You All - 2003
1. Contact 2. What Doesn't Die 3. Superhero 4. Refuse To Be Denied 5. Safe Home 6. Any Place But Here 7. Nobody Knows Anything 8. Strap It On 9. Black Dahlia 10. Cadillac Rock Box 11. Taking The Music Back 12. Crash 13. Think About An End 14. W.C.F.Y.A.
|Volume 8: The Threat Is Real - 1998
1. Crush 2. Catharsis 3. Inside Out 4. P & V 5. 604 6. Toast to the Extras 7. Born Again Idiot 8. Killing Box 9. Harms Way 10. Hog Tied 11. Big Fat 12. Cupajoe 13. Alpha Male 14. Stealing From A Thief
|Stomp 442 - 1995
1. Random Acts of Senseless Violence 2. Fueled 3. King Size 4. Riding Shotgun 5. In a Zone 6. Nothing 7. American Pompeii 8. Drop the Ball 9. Tester 10. Bare
|Live: The Island Years - 1994
1. (Efilnikufesin) N.F.L. 2. A.I.R. 3. Parasite 4. Keep It In The Family 5. Caught In A Mosh 6. Indians 7. Antisocial 8. Bring The Noise 9. I Am The Law 10. Metal Thrashing Mad 11. In My World 12. Now It's Dark
|Sound Of White Noise - 1993
1. Potters Field 2. Only 3. Room For One More 4. Packaged Rebellion 5. Hy Pro Glo 6. Invisible 7. 1000 Points Of Hate 8. Black Lodge 9. C11 H17 N2 O2 S Na 10. Burst 11. In My World 12. This Is Not An Exit
|Attack Of The Killer B's - 1991
1. Milk 2. Bring The Noise 3. Keep It In The Family 4. Startin' Up A Posse 5. Protest And Survive 6. Chromatic Death 7. I'm The Man '91 8. Parasite 9. Pipeline 10. Sects 11. Belly Of The Beast 12. N.F.B.
|Persistence of Time - 1990
1. Time 2. Blood 3. Keep It In The Family 4. In My World 5. Gridlock 6. Intro To Reality 7. Belly Of The Beast 8. Got The Time 9. H8 Red 10. One Man Stands 11. Discharge
|State Of Euphoria - 1988
1. Be All, End All 2. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind 3. Make Me Laugh 4. Antisocial 5. Who Cares Wins 6. Now It's Dark 7. Schism 8. Misery Loves Company 9. 13 10. Finale
|I'm The Man - 1987
1. I'm The Man (Censored Radio Version) 2. I'm The Man (Def Uncensored Version) 3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 4. I'm The Man (Extremely Def Ill Uncensored Version) 5. Caught In A Mosh 6. I Am The Law
|Among The Living - 1987
1. Among The Living 2. Caught In A Mosh 3. I Am The Law 4. Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.) 5. A Skeleton In The Closet 6. Indians 7. One World 8. A.D.I. / Horror Of It All 9. Imitation Of Life
|Spreading The Diease - 1985
1. A.I.R. 2. Lone Justice 3. Madhouse 4. S.S.C. / Stand Or Fall 5. The Enemy 6. Aftershock 7. Armed And Dangerous 8. Medusa 9. Gung-Ho
|Armed And Dangerous - 1985
1. Armed And Dangerous (Studio) 2. Raise Hell (Studio) 3. God Save The Queen 4. Metal Thrashing Mad (Live) 5. Panic (Live) 6. Soldiers Of Metal (Collector's Rare Track) 7. owling Furies (Collector's Rare Track)
|Fistful of Metal - 1984
1. Deathrider 2. Metal Thrashing Mad 3. I'm Eighteen 4. Panic 5. Subjugator 6. Soldiers of Metal 7. Death from Above 8. Anthrax 9. Across the River 10. Howling Furies
|Rise of the Infidels - 2007
STUDIOTRACKS:1. Stand Up And Fight 2. Java Amigo 3. United And Strong 4. Ready To Fight LIVETRACKS:- Live At The Fenix - 5. Ballad Of Nirvana/March Of The S.O.D. 6. Sgt. 'D'. And The S.O.D. 7. Kill Yourself 8. Milano Mosh 9. Speak English Or Die 10. Fuck The Middle East 11. Douche Crew 12. Ballad Of Jimi Hendrix 13. Ballad Of Jim Morrison 14. Ballad Of INXS 15. Ballad Of Frank Sinatra 16. Ballad Of Nirvana 17. Ballad Of Freddie Mercury 18. Chromatic Death 19. Fist Banging Mania 20. No Turning Back/6 Songs In 9 Seconds 21. Milk 22. Pussywhipped 23. Freddy Krueger 24. United Forces
|Seasoning The Obese - 2000
1. Seasoning The Obese 2. Raise Your Sword
|Bigger Than the Devil - 1999
1. Bigger Than The Devil 2. The Crackhead Song 3. Kill The Assholes 4. Monkeys Rule 5. Skool Bus 6. King At The King / Evil Is In 7. Black War 8. Celtic Frosted Flakes 9. Charlie Don't Cheat 10. The Song That Don't Go Fast 11. Shenanigans 12. Dog On The Tracks 13. Xerox 14. Make Room, Make Room 15. Free Dirty Needles 16. Fugu 17. Noise That's What 18. We All Bleed Red 19. Frankenstein And His Horse 20. Every Tiny Molecule 21. Aren't You Hungry? 22. L.A.T.K.C.H. 23. Ballad Of Michael H. 24. Ballad Of Phil H. 25. Moment Of Truth
|Live at Budokan - 1992
1. March Of The S.O.D. 2. Sargent 'D' And The S.O.D. 3. Kill Yourself 4. Momo 5. Pi Alpa Nu 6. Milano Mosh 7. Speak English Or Die! 8. Chromatic Death 9. Fist Banging Mania 10. The Camel Boy 11. No Turning Back 12. Milk 13. Vitality 14. Fuck The Middle East 15. Douche Crew 16. Get A Real Job 17. The Ballad Of Jimi Hendrix 18. Livin' In The City 19. Pussy Whipped 20. Stigmata 21. Thieves 22. Freddy Krueger 23. Territorial Pissings 24. United Forces
|Speak English or Die - 1985
1. March of the S.O.D. 2. Sargent D and the S.O.D. 3. Kill Yourself 4. Milano Mosh 5. Speak English or Die 6. United Forces 7. Chromatic Death 8. Pi Alpha Nu 9. Anti-Procrastination Song 10. What's that Noise 11. Freddy Krueger 12. Milk 13. Pre-Menstrual Princess Blues 14. Pussy Whipped 15. Fist Banging Mania 16. No Turning Back 17. Fuck the Middle East 18. Douche Crew 19. Hey Gordy! 20. Ballad of Jimi Hendrix 21. Diamonds and Rust" (Extended Version)
|Little Immaculate White Fox - 2010
1. Rock Child 2. Broken White 3. Nutbush City Limits 4. Check Out Charlie 5. My Heart Isn't In It 6. Nobody 7. Worth Defending 8. Lovepyre 9. Whore 10. Anything
|w/The Damned Things|
|Ironclast - 2010
1. Handbook for the Recently Deceased 2. Bad Blood 3. Friday Night (Going Down in Flames) 4. We've Got a Situation Here 5. Black Heart 6. A Great Reckoning 7. Little Darling 8. Ironiclast 9. Graverobber 10. The Blues Havin' Blues
|Fart and Wiender Jokes - 2010
25. More Metal Than You 26. The Gambler
|Live In: Nerd Rage - 2006
18. Metal by Numbers